Beijing University of Civil Engineering & Architecture (BUCEA), which originated from Capital Elementary Industrial School in 1907, got its current name with the approval of the Ministry of Education, P. R. China in 2013. It is a multidisciplinary university focusing on engineering especially known for architecture. The university was approved as a Master’s degree awarding institution in 1986 and a doctor's degree awarding institution in 2018. It has also been approved to establish post-doctoral research stations in architecture and civil engineering. The university has over 10,000 students, including over 90 international students. It has formed a comprehensive and multi-level education system from undergraduate, master's to doctoral students, from full-time to international students, and adult education.
The university insists on opening-up policy and extensively carries out international exchanges and cooperation. In 2017, it initiated the establishment of the “One Belt One Road” International Alliance of Architecture Universities. Currently, 74 colleges and universities from 28 countries have joined, which has made important contributions to continuously deepen the “Belt and Road” initiative, as well as comprehensively promote the infrastructure construction of countries along the route, the training of international talents, the collaborative innovation of science and technology, and the cultural exchanges.
I. Applicant Qualification
1. Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens who are in good health and holda valid ordinary foreign passport.
If the applicant has foreign nationality at birth but does not have Chinese nationality sinceboth or one of the parents of the applicant are Chinese citizens and reside in a foreign country; or if the applicant is a mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan residentwho have immigrated and acquired the foreign nationality, should hold valid foreign passport or nationality certificate for more than 4 years (inclusive). The applicant must have resided in a foreign country for more than 2 years in the recent 4 years (before April 30 of the year of admission) (the actual residing in a foreign country for more than 9 months in a year can be counted as one year, subject to the entry and exit signature).
2. Applicants for bachelor’s degree generally shall be no more than 30 years old (as of September 1, 2023).
3. Applicants for bachelor’s degree shall be high school graduates or have high school diploma with university application qualifications and good academic performance.
4. Bachelor’s degree is full-time education. Once applicants enroll, it is not allowed to do the internship or workexcept for academic requirements by BUCEA. Once a violation is found, student who refuses to change after admonition will be handled as withdrawing from university.
II. Application Deadline
June 17, 2023 (application will not be accepted after the deadline)
III. Application Procedures
Applicants shall apply online at http://apply.bucea.cucas.cn/ by filling ininformation and uploading application materials online. Applicants areexpected to check their online application accountand emails regularly, as BUCEA’s Admissions Office may contact them whennecessary.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all applicationdocuments in the online application system:
1. Please complete “Application Form for International Students” in online application system. Please complete in Chinese or English.
2. High school graduates shall submit the scanned version of the graduation certificate, and the graduating high school students shall submit the certificate of enrollment or pre-graduation certificate issued by the school (they must get theirhigh schooldiploma before September 2023).
3. Academic Transcripts (for high school studies)
(1) Graduating high school students should submit academic transcripts foreach year ofhigh school to date.
(2) High school graduates should submit a complete set of academictranscripts for high school.
(3) The results report of their national college matriculation exam orinternationally accepted standardized tests.
4. Language Proficiency Certificate.
(1) Chinese proficiency requirements
Applicants shall submit a HSK4 qualification certificate within valid period.Applicants who use Chinese as the language of instruction in senior high school may substitute the language certificate issued by the senior high school.
(2) English proficiency requirements
The TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic transcript can be provided as an auxiliarymaterial for the application.
5. Scanned copy of valid passport. The passport should be validthrough December 31, 2023.
Applicants who are indicated in "I. Applicant Qualification,1" should submit scanned copies of the first page of their passports that valid more than 4 years, scanned copies of their exit and entry signatures and seals that could show they haveactually lived abroad for more than 2 years in the recent 4 years, and scanned copies of "naturalization certificates" issued by the foreign passport country.
6. CV or resume, completed in Chinese or English.
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in Chinese or English, bearing the stamp of the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
8. Applicants can provide proof of internship or work, proof of awards or scholarships, and proof of participation in academic activities as supplementary materials.
(1) All the application materials in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by the original copy and its notarized translation in Chinese or English. It is advised to have the original copy and its translation notarized at the Chinese Embassy in the applicant’s home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists ofmore than one page.
(2) Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held accountable for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged materials will be rejected.
(3) In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, BUCEA reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
(4) In principle, our university implements the Guidelines on Physical Examination for Enrollment in Ordinary Institutions of Higher Learning issued by the Ministry of Education, the former Ministry of Health and China Disabled Persons' Federation. Our university imposes restrictions on application for the following majors:
Experimental class for environmental innovative talents (including environmental science, environmental engineering and environmental ecological engineering); Architecture (experimental class) (including two experimental classes of Architecture (innovation experiment) and Architecture (Urban Design)), architecture (including three majors of architecture, urban and rural planning and landscape architecture), historical building protection engineering and environmental design.
In addition to the same color weak limit reporting specialty, it also includes traffic engineering.
③Those who cannot accurately identify monochrome wires, keys, signal lights and geometric figures are limited to:
In addition to the majors of same color weakness and color blindness, it also includes management science and Engineering (including engineering management and engineering cost), engineering management (experimental class), urban management (experimental class) and business administration. Those who cannot accurately identify the numbers and letters of any of the colors of red, yellow, green, blue and purple on the display cannot be admitted to the majors of computer science and technology and artificial intelligence.
V. Academic Programs
The undergraduate enrollment major of international students in our university is consistent with the undergraduate enrollment profile of Chinese students in 2023. The major name in the table below may change, and the actual name shall be subject to the admission notice.
Note: The undergraduate enrollment majors of BUCEA are all taught in Chinese.
VI. Admission and Selection
1. Verification of qualification
There will be a comprehensive review of the applicant’s foreign identity, highest degree diploma, academic performance, language proficiency, research plan, recommendations etc.
2. Interview assessment
Schools will conduct remote video interview assessment (ZOOM or Tencent Meeting) in June for part of the overseas students who pass the qualification examination, focusing on students' language communication, academic ability and comprehensive quality, etc. Offline interviews may still be arranged for students who are in China. Please refer to email for interview arrangement.
3. The best applicants will be selected according to the results of the qualification examination and interview.
Applicants can check their admission results on the International Development Research Institute (School ofInternational Education) website(http://idri.bucea.edu.cn/) during July and August. Admission letters and visa application forms for study in China will be sent out accordance with the immigration policy.
VII. Length of Program, Duration of Study, Conferral of Degree
Length of study: 4-5years
Duration of study: The maximum learning period is 6 years for 4-year students and 7 years for 5-year students (including the time of suspension or retention of student status)
Students who complete the credits stipulated in the teaching plan, complete their thesis, successfully pass the oral defense and meet the requirements for graduation, are granted the bachelor’s diploma, and those qualified are granted the bachelor’s degree.
VIII. Tuition Fee (charged per academic year in RMB, excluding cost of course materials)
Chinese bachelor programs: 20000 RMB/academic year
IX. Study Expenses
1. Accommodation: Double bedroom 60 yuan/day/bed，Triple bedroom 40 yuan/day/bed.
2. Living Cost: Around RMB 1000-1500 per month (estimate based on personal consumption level).
3. Medical Insurance: For the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education and BUCEA, international students are required to purchase medical insurance which is 800 RMB/year. Please refer to the enrolment instructions for detailed information of medical insurance.
4. Visa: 550 RMB
For Chinese taught undergraduates, there are the following 3 types of scholarships. Different types of scholarships will not be awarded to the same person at the same time. The scholarships will be reviewed once a year fromthe second year ofenrollment, and eligible students can apply directly.
1. First-class Scholarships: to subsidize all tuition fees for one academic year.
2. Second-class Scholarships: to subsidize half of the tuition fees for one academic year.
3. Special Contribution Scholarships: It is used to reward international students who have made outstanding achievements in academic, sports, art, cultural exchanges, and public welfare activities. The amount of subsidy does not exceed 5,000 yuan per person per academic year.
Scholarship applicants must abide by the law, respect teachers, have good moral character, study diligently, unite with classmates, actively participate in group activities, attend the classes on time and complete all the credits of the courses required for the previous academic year with good grades. What’s more, applicants should have paid all tuition fees and meet the requirements of other relevant rules and regulations.
The International Student Scholarships Jury will adhere to the principles of standardization, objectivity and fairness to select scholarship applicants.
XI. Monitoring, Complaints andAction for Misconduct
1. Under the guidance of the University’s Student Recruitment Leadership Group, BUCEA’s international student recruitment is jointly conducted by the BUCEA Admissions Office and the relevant schools/colleges and is subject to the monitoring of the BUCEA Supervision Division. The Supervision Division can be reached on +86 (0)10 61209094/9381.
2. Applicants are responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the information and documents they have submitted. New students’ admission qualifications will be rechecked upon their entry to BUCEA. Failure to meet the admission regulations for international students or any falsification or misrepresentation will result in disqualification ofenrollment in accordance with the regulations of the educational authorities and BUCEA.
XII. Contact Information International Development Research Institute (School of International Education)
Tel：+86 (0) 10 68361635