Beijing University of Civil Engineering & Architecture (BUCEA), which originated from Capital Elementary Industrial School in 1907, got its current name with the approval of the Ministry of Education, P. R. China in 2013. It is a multidisciplinary university focusing on engineering especially known for architecture. The university was approved as a Master’s degree awarding institution in 1986 and a doctor's degree awarding institution in 2018. It has also been approved to establish post-doctoral research stations in architecture and civil engineering. The university has over 10,000 students, including 121 international academic students, 7,713 full-time undergraduates, 2,548 postgraduate students, 83 PhD students and 766 adult education students.
The university insists on opening-up policy and extensively carries out international exchanges and cooperation. In 2017, it initiated the establishment of the “One Belt One Road” International Alliance of Architecture Universities. Currently, 64 colleges and universities from 27 countries have joined, which has made important contributions to continuously deepen the “Belt and Road” initiative, as well as comprehensively promote the infrastructure construction of countries along the route, the training of international talents, the collaborative innovation of science and technology, and the cultural exchanges. The university offers a master's degree program taught in English and recruits outstanding international students, aiming to cultivate high-level international professionals with good professional foundation and understanding of Chinese society and culture.
I. Applicant Qualification
1. Applicant should be non-Chinese citizens who are in good health and hold a valid ordinary foreign passport.
(1) Residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan must hold a valid foreign passport for more than 4 years (inclusive) to study in China as foreign students after immigrating to a foreign country, and have actual records of more than 2-year residence in foreign countries within the last 4 years (by June 30, 2021). (Actually living abroad for 9 months in a year can be calculated as one year, subject to entry and exit signatures)
(2) Foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as non-Chinese as descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) can apply for Residence Permit in China and register their academic records as international students, only after being officially recognized by National Immigration Administration as foreign citizens. Please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification for more information. Those who are not officially recognized as foreign citizens will have their qualification for enrollment revoked.
2. Applicants for master’s degree generally shall be no more than 35 years old (as of September 1, 2021).
3. Applicants for master’s degree shall have obtained bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Applicants for master’s degree in Architecture should have bachelor's degree in Architecture or Architecture related majors.
Applicants for master’s degree in Control Science and Engineering or in Mechanical Engineering, should have bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Automation, Electronics or Electronics related majors.
4. Master's degree is a full-time education. Once applicants enroll, it is not allowed to do the internship or work permanently. Once a violation is found, student who refuses to change after admonition will be handled as withdrawing from university.
II. Application Deadline
June 30, 2021 (application will not be accepted after the deadline)
III. Application Procedures
Applicants shall apply online at http://apply.bucea.cucas.cn/ by filling in information and uploading application materials online. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their online application account and emails regularly, as BUCEA’s Admissions Office may contact them when necessary.
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents in the online application system:
1. Application Form for International Students, which shall be completed in Chinese or English and will be automatically generated after successful online application.
2. To apply for a master’s program, applicants shall submit their undergraduate diploma or submit their pre-graduation certificates (they must get their undergraduate diploma before September 2021).
3. To apply for a master’s program, the undergraduate students shall submit their academic transcripts during the academic years, and the graduated students shall submit their complete transcripts during the undergraduate period.
4. Study or Research Plan.
The Plan should be no less than 1,000 words, written in English.
5. Two Letters of Recommendation signed by professors or associate professors, written in Chinese or English with the signature or official seal.
6. Language Proficiency Certificate.
(1) English proficiency requirements
Applicants need to submit TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic transcripts. The TOEFL iBT score must be 65 or above, and the academic IELTS score must be 5.5 or above. The certificate must be within the validity period. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their bachelor’s degree studies can present certificates issued by universities as substitutes. Applicants from countries where English is the official language are exempt from submitting proof of English language proficiency.
(2) Chinese proficiency requirements
The Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) certificate can be provided as an auxiliary material for the application.
7. Scanned copy of valid regular passport. The passport should be valid through December 31, 2021.
To avoid bad influences in their registration and application for the Residence Permit in China, foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) are strongly advised to put together the required documents according to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification before their arrival in China.
8. CV, completed in Chinese or English.
9. Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in Chinese or English, bearing the stamp of the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
10. No Criminal Certificate, written in English.
11. Applicant who applys for the major of Architecture needs to provide a collection of design works or a published academic paper of your major.
12. Applicants can provide proof of internship or work, proof of awards or scholarships, and proof of participation in academic activities as supplementary materials.
(1) All the application materials in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by the original copy and its notarized translation in Chinese or English. It is advised to have the original copy and its translation notarized at the Chinese Embassy in the applicant’s home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists of more than one page.
(2) Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held accountable for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged materials will be rejected.
(3) In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, BUCEA reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
V. Academic Programs
The admission majors of English Master in 2021 are shown in the following table.
||Schools||Length of Major(years)||Degree|
|1||Architecture||School of Architecture and Urban Planning||3||Master of Architecture|
|2||Civil Engineering||School of Civil and Transportation Engineering||3||Master of Engineering|
|3||Environmental Engineering||School of Civil and Transportation Engineering||3||Master of Engineering|
|4||Control Science and Engineering||School of Electrical and Information Engineer||3||Master of Engineering|
|5||Mechanical Engineering||School of Mechanical-electronic and Vehicle Engineer||3||Master of Engineering|
|6||Surveying and Mapping Science and Technology||School of Geomatics and Urban Spatial Information||3||Master of Engineering|
VI. Admission and Selection
1. Verification of qualification
There will be a comprehensive review of the applicant’s foreign identity, highest degree diploma, academic performance, language proficiency, research plan, recommendations etc.
2. Interview assessment
Schools will conduct remote video interview assessment (ZOOM or Tencent Meeting) in July for part of the overseas students who pass the qualification examination, focusing on students' language communication, academic ability and comprehensive quality, etc. Offline interviews may still be arranged for students who are in China. Please refer to email for interview arrangement.
3. The best applicants will be selected according to the results of the qualification examination and interview.
Applicants can check their admission results on the International Development Research Institute (School of International Education) website (http://idri.bucea.edu.cn/) during July and August. Admission letters and visa application forms for study in China will be sent out accordance with the immigration policy.
VII. Length of Program, Duration of Study and Conferral of Degree
The length of study for each above master's program is 3 years, with the maximum learning period of 5 years (including suspension of schooling and retention of school roll)
Students who complete the credits stipulated in the teaching plan, complete their thesis, successfully pass the oral defense and meet the requirements for graduation, are granted the master’s diploma, and those qualified are granted the master degree.
VIII. Tuition Fee (charged per academic year in RMB, excluding cost of course materials)
English Master Programs: 30000 RMB/ academic year
IX. Study Expenses
1. Accommodation: Double bedroom 60 yuan/day/bed，Triple bedroom 40 yuan/day/bed
2. Living Cost: Around RMB 1000-1500 per month (estimate based on personal consumption level).
3. Medical Insurance: For the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education and BUCEA, international students are required to purchase medical insurance which is 800 RMB/year. Please refer to the enrolment instructions for detailed information of medical insurance.
4. Visa: 550 RMB
For graduate students, there are the following 4 types of scholarships. Different types of scholarships will not be awarded to the same person at the same time. Except for the Freshman Scholarships for English Taught Master, the other three scholarships will be reviewed once a year from the second year of enrollment, and eligible students can apply directly.
1. Freshman Scholarships for English Taught Master: to subsidize all tuition fees for the first academic year.
2. First-class Scholarships: to subsidize all tuition fees for one academic year.
3. Second-class Scholarships: to subsidize half of the tuition fees for one academic year.
4. Special Contribution Scholarships: It is used to reward international students who have made outstanding achievements in academic, sports, art, cultural exchanges, and public welfare activities. The amount of subsidy does not exceed 5,000 yuan per person per academic year.
Scholarship applicants must abide by the law, respect teachers, have good moral character, study diligently, unite with classmates, actively participate in group activities, attend the classes on time and complete all the credits of the courses required for the previous academic year with good grades. What’s more, applicants should have paid all tuition fees and meet the requirements of other relevant rules and regulations.
The International Student Scholarships Jury will adhere to the principles of standardization, objectivity and fairness to select scholarship applicants.
XI. Monitoring, Complaints and Action for Misconduct
1. Under the guidance of the University’s Student Recruitment Leadership Group, BUCEA’s international student recruitment is jointly conducted by the BUCEA Admissions Office and the relevant schools and is subject to the monitoring of the BUCEA Supervision Division. The Supervision Division can be reached on +86 (0)10 61209094/9095/9381.
2. Applicants are responsible for the authenticity and accuracy of the information and documents they have submitted. Freshman’s admission qualifications will be rechecked upon their entry to BUCEA. Failure to meet the admission regulations for international students or any falsification or misrepresentation will result in disqualification of enrollment in accordance with the regulations of the educational authorities and BUCEA.
XII. Contact Information
International Development Research Institute (School of International Education)
Tel：+86 (0) 10 61209538